Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Review: Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler


Title: Vinegar Girl
Author: Anne Tyler
Format: Hardcover
Source: Blogging For Books

"The Taming of the Shrew" is one of my favorite Shakespeare plays. I’ve seen several adaptations performed live and it inspired one of my favorite teen comedies, “10 Things I Hate About You.” So when I saw that Vinegar Girl was a modern retelling of this Shakespearean comedy, I knew I had to read it. And while it might not have been my favorite adaptation, this was definitely an enjoyable story full of the spirit of the play.

Vinegar Girl tells the story of Kate, a straight forward and often blunt (to the point of rudeness) preschool teacher whose eccentric father has decided that she should marry his research assistant so that the assistant can remain in the country. What follows is a humorous story as both Kate’s father and her would-be suitor try to win her over.  Complicating matters is Kate’s much younger sister, Bunny, who is attempting to spread her wings a bit and experience a little love and freedom for herself, much to her sister’s dismay.

The story is fast-paced and a quick read that I was able to finish in one day mostly because the colorful cast of characters won me over and kept me reading. I couldn’t wait to see what they’d do next and what Kate had to say.  And while I enjoyed Kate’s blunt and honest manner, it often got her into trouble with her job and family and sometimes to me just seemed plain rude and unnecessary.  Despite this, I still enjoyed the book and would recommend it to others who enjoy a good Shakespearean retelling or are looking for a quick read.

My Rating: 4 Stars

I received a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review from Blogging for Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment