Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Summer Reading Challenge

Remember when you were a kid and every summer they’d give you a summer reading list that you just couldn’t wait to complete? Maybe it was just bookworm me who looked forward to that. Each summer I’d eagerly work my way through the list earning free pizzas from Pizza Hut’s Book It, tickets to Six Flags for reading 600 minutes (yeah, I read a lot more than 600 minutes…unfortunately it was one ticket per kid or I‘d be set for life), or whatever prize/reward there was at the end. Of course, I liked it better when I could pick my own books to read.
Well, I was thinking about doing a summer reading challenge this year on my own, but wasn’t sure what I wanted to do.  I’d already completed the adult one that my local library has going (It really wasn’t much of a challenge to someone who reads all of the time.).  I then asked my nieces and nephews if they had received lists that I could look at to see what middle and high school kids were required to read these days. Maybe something there might spark my interest and give me an idea. Yeah, they looked at me like I had lost my mind.  Read…when you didn’t have to?  (You’d think they’d be used to me by now…not sure any of them have ever seen me without a book).

Anyway, I wanted to do something.  Then I came across a post on Pretty Deadly Reviews. Whitley from Reading With a Vengeance and Bekka from Pretty Deadly Reviews have teamed up to create the Blogger Summer Reading Program. And I have decided that I want to take part!

You can find more details on Bekka's blog, but you basically set your own goal and each week in July go back to the Pretty Deadly Review blog to report your progress.  And with each weekly goal you meet, you get an entry into the Blogger Summer Reading Program giveaway….oh, and you don’t have to be a blogger to join. You can find more info and sign up here.

So what are my goals? Well, I thought about this for a bit and then every time I turned on the TV yesterday they were talking about it being the first day of summer…and it hit me…I am going to complete a Summer Reading List…literally.  Confused yet?  Well, I looked at my TBR list and realized that I have a lot of books with the word “summer” in the title. Therefore, I am going to attempt to read some of those books for this "summer" reading challenge.

Each week I want to read and review one eBook and one print book that has the word “summer” in the title.  I have selected 8 books from my TBR (even though I have several more) and hope to get them all read.  I plan on reading/reviewing other books as well during this challenge, but these are my 8 for the challenge:

Print:

eBook:

Well, wish me luck! I’ll be posting my progress as well my thoughts on the books as the summer progresses. Fingers crossed that I get these read!

 If you want you to join in, please check out Bekka’s post here.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for joining! I love how you've decided to tackle this!

    The Square Root of Summer was one of my favorite books this year. It made me laugh and bawl my eyes out. I really hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete